Source: Grosse Pointe News Online

Can't walk away

by Brad Lindberg Staff Writer

November 14, 2013

A stove fire which firefighters extinguished before it burned down a house provides a lesson about the importance of smoke alarms and kitchen safety.

“The smoke alarm saved the day,” said Lt. Jack Patterson of the Grosse Pointe Farms public safety department.

Officers manning the city’s two fire engines responded at 7:01 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 6, to a 29-year-old woman’s call for help at a house in the in the 400 block of Kercheval.

“(She) states that she was heating a baby bottle on the stove along with a pan of oil,” said a first-responder. “When the baby bottle was done, she removed it, but forgot about the oil on the stove.”

“The grease caught fire and flames started up the wall,” Patterson said.

The smoke alarm alerted the woman.

“She called us,” Patterson said. “The first officer was there in a minute or two and knocked most of the fire down with a dry chemical extinguisher.”

The mother and her child are fine. So is an upstairs neighbor.

“You can’t walk away from a stove when it’s on,” Patterson said. “When you have a stove’s burners on, you have to be in attendance.”

Another risk comes from cooks leaving flammables on stovetops.

The bottom line is, pay attention.

“You have an open flame in your home,” Patterson said. “It should not be unattended.”