Source: Grosse Pointe News Online

North squeezes by rival South

by Bob St. John Sports Editor

November 29, 2012

By Bob St. John

Sports Editor

Grosse Pointe North dominated its first go-around with city rival Grosse Pointe South last week, but on the scoreboard it turned out to be only a 2-1 victory.

“We didn’t play well, but a win is a win,” North head coach Scott Lock said. “I knew we had a lot of shots on net and had a lot of scoring chances, but (Andrew) Wright stood on his head and played very well.”

“It was a rivalry game and I knew our kids would play hard, which they did,” South head coach Bobby McKillop said. “Andrew was great in net and he kept us in this game. We had a chance to tie it, but we couldn’t get the tying goal.”

This game was the consolation contest of the annual Cranbrook-Kingswood Tournament.

The tone was set in the opening period when the Norsemen out-shot the Blue Devils 17-1, but led only 1-0 on a goal by senior Anthony Allemon with 4.6 seconds left.

“We had a chance to score a couple of goals in the first period, which I think could have been huge in the final outcome,” Lock said. “I’m glad the offense generated a lot of scoring chances, but I want to see that on a more consistent basis.”

The Blue Devils scored on their second shot of the game when senior Jake Corden wristed a shot from the blue line over the right shoulder of Norsemen senior goalkeeper, Tanner Colborg.

The power play goal came at the 15:47 mark and tied it 1-1.

Both teams had another man-advantage in the second period, but neither was fruitful and the score remained 1-1 after two periods of play.

At the 12:38 mark of the third period, senior Jeff Herron scored the game-winning goal.

The Norsemen continued to pound the Blue Devils’ net, but each time Wright came up with a big save.

Meanwhile, Colborg only saw five third-period shots, but came up with his biggest save with a little less than a minute left. With the puck about to find the back of the net, Colborg made a glove save to keep the game 2-1.

In the semifinals the day before, Grosse Pointe South lost 6-1 to Livonia Stevenson, while Grosse Pointe North played a division game with the host school and lost 3-2.

“It was a good game, but we just came up a goal short,” Lock said. “We’re still trying to find our way and we’re changing the lineups to see what is the best fit for the team.”

North opened its season with a 5-0 loss to Novi Catholic Central, while South played two games before the tournament losing 7-3 to Birmingham Brother Rice and beating Ann Arbor Huron 11-0.

In the lopsided victory, Max Corden had three goals and an assist and Bigham added two goals and one assist to lead the Blue Devils. Andrew Hyde had a goal and an assist, while Jake Corden netted one goal and three assists. Dominic Rinaldi had one goal and one assist, while Wyatt Flynn had one goal and two assists.

Other goal scorers were Ian Corbett and Tyler Demery. Assisting goals were Ryley Maher, Cameron Mogk, Will Barrett, Tommy McShane (two), Shane Sparkman and Will Newell.

“It’s a process and the guys are like sponges,” McKillop said. “They want to learn to play the game within the game and we will get to that point. I like the attitude the guys show in practice and in our games.”

After the first two weeks of the season, Grosse Pointe North is 1-2 overall and 0-2 in the Michigan Interscholastic Hockey League; Grosse Pointe South is 1-0 in the Michigan Metro Hockey League and 1-3 overall.