flag image
Mike Riehls

Liggett doubles its holiday fun

Left, Liggett senior Lordanthony Grissom skates up ice during the Knights' win over the Blue Devils. Right, South junior Brennan Ifkovits battles for the puck in the Blue Devils' tough overtime loss to Liggett. photo by Bob Bruce.

January 02, 2014
City rivals Grosse Pointe South and host University Liggett boys' hockey teams played a game to remember last weekend in the first game of the ULS Holiday Invitational.

A packed house enjoyed a game, which the Blue Devils came within one minute of winning, but in the end it was the Knights winning 3-2 in overtime.

"This was a great atmosphere and a great high school hockey game," Liggett head coach Mike Hamilton said. "We didn't play our best, but we found a way to win."

"We had to play a little tighter in our zone for another minute and we would have won a big game," South head coach Bobby McKillop said. "It's a disappointing loss. We had our chances to win and didn't take advantage of those."

Junior Stephen Campau scored in the opening period to give the Knights a 1-0 lead. Junior Jacob Smith and senior William Yates had the assists.

Neither squad scored in the middle stanza, but the Blue Devils tied it at the 11:32 mark of the third period when senior Andrew Bigham tallied, with junior Dominic Rinaldi drawing the lone assist.

With time winding down in the third period, the Blue Devils scored the go-ahead goal at the 5:36 mark when senior Kenneth Cervone scored, with junior Ian Corbett and senior Casey Livingston netting assists.

Fans for both sides cheered.

South fans rooted for the Blue Devils to hold onto the lead, while Liggett fans wanted to tie the game.

Hamilton pulled junior goalie Luke Soyka to gain an extra attacker and it worked as senior Vincent Scarfone scored with only 79 seconds left in the game. The Blue Devils' defensive unit didn't clear the puck and the turnover burned them.

Smith and Yates had the assists and all of a sudden the game was tied and headed to overtime.

With only 2:37 left in the first extra session, a turnover in the Blue Devils' zone turned out to be a killer as Knights junior Josh Soyka took the loose puck and fired it by South senior goalie Andrew Wright, winning the game.

Yates had his third assist of the game and senior Jake Jerome also earned an assist as the Knights celebrated.

Twenty-four hours later, Liggett used a stunning performance by sophomore goalie Alexander Grimm, who stopped 25 Sault Ste. Marie shots to left the Knights to a 2-0 win in the tournament championship game.

"We beat a very good Soo team tonight," Hamilton said. "We weren't as aggressive and fast as I would like, but in the end we had a great goaltending performance from Grimm and won the game."

The Knights mustered only 12 shots on net, but two found the mark. Yates scored at the 2:42 mark of the first period and at the 8:39 mark of the second stanza.

Senior Lordanthony Grissom assisted the first goal, while Smith and sophomore Alexander Minanov had assists on the second tally, which game on the powerplay.

Liggett improved to 7-0 overall.

In the consolation game, South blanked Traverse City St. Francis 5-0 as senior Andrew Hyde scored two goals.

Other goal scorers were senior Tyler Demery, Bigham and Rinaldi. Netting assists were Bigham, Cervone (three), Corbett, junior William Walker, Demery and sophomore Mark Cimmarrusti (two).

Grosse Pointe South is 5-3-1 overall.

Firestone 1
Whistle Stop 2
GP Theatre Les Mis 3
Village Food Market-Left Bottom
Backer Right